Back Office Manager - Payments Services
Directs the operations of the Payment Services Department and ensures complete, accurate, and timely processing of member and credit union transactions and documents; including, but not limited to, ACH, Drafts, Wires, eCommerce, Accounts Payable, and share charge-offs, etc.
* Hires, trains, mentors, and motivates qualified employees.
* Oversees the day-to-day operations and workflow of the payment services department.
??? Manages employee performance by conducting and documenting performance actions, as appropriate or required, that are timely and constructive, including coaching and counseling sessions, evaluations, salary adjustments, probation, or terminations.
* Conducts counseling sessions that are final in nature and termination meetings with the presence of HR or the SVP of Finance.
Duties / Responsibilities:
* Oversees the processing of all transactions and documents handled by the payment services department, as well as any software or systems that are used in the department.
* Sets performance standards that may be based on financial and operational goals and compliance with internal policies, procedures, and local, state, and federal regulations, ensuring that the department follows all requirements.
* Sets the individual goals for the staff within the department that are intended to assist the organization in meeting business plan goals and objectives, and the assigned departmental goals. Responsible for managing and meeting individual and department goals.
* Conducts regular staff meetings to ensure that goals and objectives are clearly communicated with payment services staff; provides guidance and leadership to enable staff to meet these goals and objectives.
* Supports and provides supervision and back up to subordinate positions to ensure performance standards and members financial needs are met.
* Identifies training needs and opportunities; develops and implements a plan for meeting those needs.
* Schedules and coordinates staffing coverage for all critical, time-dependent tasks.
* Maintains and develops positive relationships with members and staff, demonstrating excellent service and setting an example for other staff.
* Works with AVP of Finance, Management, and auditors/examiners on year-end and comprehensive audits and examinations.
* Tracks department activity, including but not limited to; number of transactions, volume, and trends, and provides reporting to AVP of Finance. Reviews staff work to reduce staff errors.
* Leads or supports credit union projects as they relate to the department areas of responsibility.
* Collaborates with peers and the Vice Presidents regarding credit union initiatives and projects, assisting in the formulation/execution of Credit Union policies, objectives, and programs, and collaborating on standing and ad hoc committees/teams.
* Participates in preparation and implementation of the credit union strategic plan and budget where applicable for the department.
* Manages and recommends purchase of equipment and supplies required to conduct business.
* Ensures that the department follows internal controls, policies, and procedures, and operates within the requirements of state and federal laws and regulations.
* Ensures BSA compliance within area of responsibility. Demonstrates an understanding of and follows established policies, practices, and regulations, including those defined by the Safe Act, Red Flag, Safety and all other regulatory and other designated programs and regulations. The ability to observe and correct areas of non-compliance and assist the organization in meeting defined standards and requirements.
* Oversees and approves daily checking overdraft reports, recommending the closing of accounts to managers, as appropriate. Reviews card abuse as it comes to the attention of Card Services and makes decisions to restrict or revoke card privileges as appropriate to prevent losses.
* Manages staff that work offsite in accordance with the credit union’s work from home guidelines, procedures, and policies.
* Participates in community activities to promote the credit union and to build goodwill.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Excellent leadership and management skills
* Excellent member service and interpersonal skills
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
* Problem solver
* Ability to prioritize tasks and to tap into the power and strengths of the team
* Effective delegation while retaining ultimate responsibility for outcomes
* Respectfully confident and assertive leader
* Excellent working knowledge of industry regulations, rules, and norms
* Ability to inspire a team and understands the difference in management versus leadership
* Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
* Strong knowledge of department processes including, but not limited to: ACH, Drafts, Wires, eCommerce, Accounts Payable, and share charge-offs
Ability to read and interpret documents such as complex rules, policies, procedures, and publications. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak and listen effectively. Ability to speak and prepare effective written communications geared to staff, managers, senior leadership, and outside business contacts.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts as applicable to apply accounting principles and procedures. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations .
Responsibilities can be somewhat complex, requiring a significant degree of creativity and the ability to analyze data, weighing the possible outcomes in relationship to each other. Has the ability to work through non-routine problems by referencing previous precedent. The role has complexity which requires advanced or specialty training and/or experience. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Willingly shares skills and knowledge. Effectively gives and receives feedback. Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves personal contact with others inside and/or outside the organization, generally regarding routine matters for purposes of giving or obtaining information to include professional discussion. Discussions involve a higher degree of confidentiality and discretion, requiring diplomacy and tact in communication.
Highly computer literate. Efficient with keyboard and computer, including 10-key skills by touch. Advanced ability to use MS Excel, including, but not limited to, pivot tables, lookup and reference formulas, and graphs and charts. Working knowledge of MS Word and email systems, and tasks/calendar systems such as MS Outlook. Strong aptitude to learn and adapt quickly to all systems, websites, and programs as required of the position.
Certificates and Licenses:
* Automated Clearing House Certification preferred.
Education and Experience:
* Associate degree and equivalent industry experience required. Bachelor’s degree preferred. May consider completion of 2 years of college plus the completion of specialized training courses conducted by vendors, and job-specific skills acquired through an apprenticeship program or focused on the job training in a like role.
* Three to five years of progressive financial institution experience, having a minimum of one year managing the work of others.
Physical/Environmental Characteristics: Essential duties are performed in a general office work environment and regularly require prolonged sitting and standing at a workstation/desk while completing paperwork or using computers, calculators, copiers, fax machines and other business office machines and equipment. Essential duties may also involve occasional kneeling, squatting, bending, walking, crouching, stooping, and lifting up-to 30 pounds to stack, store supplies or various office equipment, as directed. Compliance to security and safety procedures, including use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), is required
Zing Credit Union is an equal opportunity employer, Gender, Minority, Veterans, Disabled (EOE)