Accounting BSA & Risk Mitigation Manager
Directs and supervises the day-to-day operations of the Accounting and Risk Mitigation Department. Assists in ensuring accurate, thorough, and timely completion of financial and accounting records and reports of the credit union. Assists in the oversight of Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) compliance by ensuring complete, accurate, and timely processing of CTRs, SARs, and BSA reports, and assisting with BSA audits and exams. Oversees quality assurance to ensure that operations documents are correct and meeting procedural, regulatory and examination expectations. This includes IRA processing for the credit union, to ensure accuracy, timely filings, and meeting all regulatory standards, and the scanning and filing of member documentation, ensuring appropriate record retention is in place. Oversees the fraud mitigation activities of the credit union, helping to identify fraud, tracking fraud losses and savings, and informing management and staff of fraud trends for the credit union and in the industry. Assists with audit/examination support and reporting as needed.
* Hires, trains, mentors, and motivates qualified employees.
* Oversees the day-to-day operations and workflow of the accounting and risk mitigation support department.
* Manages employee performance by conducting and documenting performance actions, as appropriate or required, that are timely and constructive, including coaching and counseling sessions, evaluations, salary adjustments, probation, or terminations.
* Conducts counseling sessions that are final in nature and termination meetings with the presence of HR or the SVP of Finance.
Duties / Responsibilities:
* Oversees the day-to-day operations and workflows, software, and systems utilized by the accounting and risk mitigation support department.
* Tracks all accounting activities, including, but not limited to, the monthly general ledger, financial close processes, production of financial statements and reports, and account reconciliation activity and status of outstanding items over 60 days, reporting on activities to the AVP of Finance as appropriate.
* Tracks all risk mitigation support activities, including, but not limited to, timely filing of BSA documentation including CTRs, SARs, and other necessary reports of risk mitigation department activities, such as quality assurance and fraud activity/trends, reporting on activities to the AVP of Finance as appropriate.
* Ensures the activities of BSA/AML compliance are meeting the objectives set by the BSA Officer (SVP of Operations).
* Ensures accurate, thorough, and timely completion of accounting and risk mitigation support operations and activities.
* Identifies and analyzes potential issues and proposes process and/or control improvements where appropriate.
* Tracks and manages open matters impacting area(s) of responsibility, providing periodic reporting to the AVP of Finance as to the status of open issues.
* Works with the AVP of Finance, BSA Officer, Management, and auditors/examiners on year-end, comprehensive, and internal audits, and examinations as requested.
* Sets department and individual performance standards that consider financial and operational goals and compliance with internal policies, procedures, and local, state, and federal regulations. Manage team to ensure requirements are met.
* Sets the individual goals for the staff within the department that are intended to assist the organization in meeting business plan goals and objectives, and the assigned departmental goals. Responsible for managing and meeting individual and department goals.
* Conducts regular staff meetings to ensure that goals and objectives are clearly communicated with accounting and risk mitigation support department staff; provides guidance and leadership to enable staff to meet these goals and objectives.
* Supports and provides supervision and back up to subordinate positions to ensure performance standards, deadlines, and members financial needs are met.
* Identifies training needs and development opportunities; develops and implements a plan for meeting those needs.
* Schedules and coordinates staffing coverage for all critical, time-dependent tasks.
* Maintains and develops positive relationships with staff and members, demonstrating excellent service and setting an example for other staff.
* Leads or supports credit union projects as they relate to the department areas of responsibility.
* Collaborates with peers and the Vice Presidents regarding credit union initiatives and projects, assisting in the formulation/execution of Credit Union policies, objectives, and programs, and collaborating on standing and ad hoc committees/teams.
* Participates in preparation and implementation of the credit union strategic plan and budget where applicable for the department.
* Manages and recommends purchase of equipment and supplies required to conduct business.
* Ensures that the department follows internal controls, policies, and procedures, and operates within the requirements of state and federal laws and regulations.
* Responsible for filing BSA documentation for the department, to include, but not limited to, CTRs, SARs, and other necessary reports.
* Manages staff that work offsite in accordance with the credit union’s work from home guidelines, procedures, and policies.
* Participates in community activities to promote the credit union and to build goodwill.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles)
- Upper-level understanding of BSA requirements
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Excellent member service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to tap into the power and strengths of the team
- Effective delegation while retaining ultimate responsibility for outcomes
- Respectfully confident and assertive leader
- Excellent working knowledge of industry regulations, rules, and norms
- Ability to inspire a team and understand the difference in management versus leadership
- Problem solver
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- General knowledge of credit union processes including, but not limited to: ACH, Drafts, Wires, eCommerce, Accounts Payable, lease processing and servicing, indirect loan processing, card processing, mortgage processing and servicing, share and loan charge-offs
Ability to read and interpret documents such complex rules, policies, procedures, and publications. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak and listen effectively speak and prepare effective written communications geared to staff, managers, senior leadership, and outside business contacts.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts as applicable to apply accounting principles and procedures. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Responsibilities can be somewhat complex, requiring a significant degree of creativity and the ability to analyze data, weighing the possible outcomes in relationship to each other. Has the ability to work through non-routine problems by referencing previous precedent. The role has complexity which requires advanced or specialty training and/or experience. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Willingly shares skills and knowledge. Effectively gives and receives feedback. Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves personal contact with others inside and/or outside the organization, generally regarding routine matters for purposes of giving or obtaining information to include professional discussion. Discussions involve a higher degree of confidentiality and discretion, requiring diplomacy and tact in communication.
Highly computer literate. Efficient with keyboard and computer, including 10-key skills by touch. Advanced ability to use MS Excel, including, but not limited to, pivot tables, lookup and reference formulas, and graphs and charts. Working knowledge of MS Word and email systems, and tasks/calendar systems such as MS Outlook. Strong aptitude to learn and adapt quickly to all systems, websites, and programs as required of the position.
Education and Experience:
* A bachelor degree, preferably in Accounting or Finance. An associate degree with sufficient accounting coursework and equivalent industry experience required. May consider completion of 2 years of college plus the completion of specialized training courses conducted by vendors, and job-specific skills acquired through an apprenticeship program or focused on the job training in a like role.
* Three to five years of similar or related experience, with at least three years of experience in an accounting department environment, including a minimum of one year serving as an accounting department assistant manager highly preferred.
Physical/Environmental Characteristics: Essential duties are performed in a general office work environment and regularly require prolonged sitting and standing at a workstation/desk while completing paperwork or using computers, calculators, copiers, fax machines and other business office machines and equipment. Essential duties may also involve occasional kneeling, squatting, bending, walking, crouching, stooping, and lifting up-to 30 pounds to stack, store supplies or various office equipment, as directed. Compliance to security and safety procedures, including use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), is required
Zing Credit Union is an equal opportunity employer, Gender, Minority, Veterans, Disabled (EOE)